Author Topic: The MiPad Teardown  (Read 5796 times)

Offline Ronald

• MIUI Pilipinas Moderator
The MiPad Teardown
« on: June 16, 2014, 09:01:28 AM »

The MiPad Teardown, as if making us jealous with their unboxing photos wasn't enough. This will make any self respecting device geek cry real tears as the MiPad is taken apart piece by piece. Nope, it is the real McCoy, not a dummy set. 

First up, the MiPad, a simple and fuss free design.

According to the website, the manufacturing processes between smartphones and tablets are very different. More elaboration later. Anyway, the back cover comes off and there's something on it. I've translated the labels.

Smartphones need to squeeze more modules into a smaller package. As a result, smartphones are assembled very carefully and with much more precision. Tablets on the other hand are bigger and have less modules. As a result, most tablets are not as delicately assembled. The MiPad breaks all norms and is assembled like a smartphone!

Let's elaborate further on the design of the MiPad. Like smartphones, it employs a 3 section assembly design. The plastic cover at the top protects and stabilises the main board, improving rigidity. Furthermore, a heat dissipating patch helps to keep things cool.

The based of a smartphone is usually packed with with antennas. With the advent of 4G, the space at the based has become even more precious. In the absence of any mobile antenna, the MiPad even has space for dual speakers.   

Powering the MiPad is a 6520mAh LG Lithium-ion battery. Compared to iPad Mini's 6430mAh battery, Nexus 7's 3950mAh battery and Kindle Fire HDX's 4550mAh battery, the MiPad towers over all of them in this department.

With a big ass battery smack right in the middle of the tablet, how do you connect the top (mainboard) and bottom together? Well, here comes the flexible printed circuit board, which connects the micro usb port for charging and data transfer, speakers, capacitive keys and LED to the brains at the top.

Although the external casing is plastic, an Aluminium alloy frame protects the internal parts.  This again is a manufacturing process employed by mainstream smartphone makers. Tablets have much bigger areas for parts, but with so few microchips on the mainboard, it gives a feeling of spaciousness. The microchips are all protected by a shiny piece of aluminium.

Great lengths are taken to protect the microchips. After the aluminium covers are forcibly removed (ouch!), you can see that the microchips are directly soldered onto the mainboard.

The SK hynix 2GB RAM and NVIDIA Tegra K1 employs a sealed package technology, which improves internal read write capability. The Tegra K1 is NVIDIA's first chip to employ the sealed package technology in NVIDIA's long line of processors.

The Toshiba 16GB eMMC internal memory employs a 19nm fabrication process, which sees a 22% reduction in size and includes an internal controller. At the point of writing, this is the absolute best in eMMC internal memory for tablets. Looks like it is nothing but the best for the MiPad, which is fantastic news to all Mi fans out there. :)

Texas Instrumentís TI44AJ121 power management chip.

Realtekís ALC5671 sound chip.

NXP TFA9890 audio amplifier. Due to the greater size of tablet batteries and a greater source of power, there's no reason why tablet makers should not seek to make breakthroughs in this area. I am eagerly awaiting my MiPad and the sound system will be one of the first things I will test. 

Broadcomís BCM4354 WiFi Bluetooth FM radio frequency module. Itís also the first FM radio frequency module in the world to support 802.11ac. The chip was first launched in the first quarter of 2014 and the MiPad is the first commercial user.

A close up the MiPad's top mounted microphone. It employs dual microphones and the other one is situated below the camera lens.

The back of the mainboard is quite bare, except for a heat dissipating pad directly beneath the CPU and Power management chip. With so many heat dissipating pads all over the device, I'm pretty sure heat was the main worry by the designers. Let's hope all will be fine when we use them in the real world.

The cameras deployed on the MiPad is a 8mp module with an aperture size of f2.0 behind and a 5mp selfie camera infront.

ATMEL MXT1664T touchscreen chip. This chip is capable of hover control, stylus control, glove control and is able to accurately detect commands even when the finger is wet. Sounds impressive! 

Based on the reviewer's final comments, I can tell that he is very impressed with the workmanship of the MiPad. On top of that, the many state of the art microchips like the NVIDIA Tegra K1, Broadcom BCM4354 and ATMEL MXT1664T places the MiPad right at the top of the pile. The launch of the MiPad should be a success and all of us here can't wait a minute longer!

Thanks to allakazoo @ http://en.miui.com/space-uid-264000342.html

Offline MikaDee

• Forum Bully
Re: The MiPad Teardown
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:17:51 AM »
Maganda sya, I was able to play this MiPad during meetup with Hugo. I defintely will buy one.

Offline Czedie

• Administrator
    • MIUI Philippines
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 10:22:11 AM »
Nice @Ronald thanks for sharing! Keep it up. ;)

Offline Ronald

• MIUI Pilipinas Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 08:41:55 AM »
Thanks to all MIUIers Pilipinas pls support the fansite to be come interactive. Thanksalamat

Offline vipereejay

• MIUI Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 05:07:03 PM »
nice one..quite detailed.. :)

Offline stanley3

• MIUI Enthusiast
  • Just ask and you'll be answered
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 07:18:22 PM »
mi pad 1 still rocks upto now  :)